[pmwiki-users] Translating pmwiki and utf8 bug

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jun 14 16:30:09 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:04:21PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> Then I started looking at translating pmwiki itself into my language.
> I hope you don't mind me asking a question about the translation
> process here: I couldn't find any other option.

This is indeed the correct place!

> In the XLPageTemplate, most strings are in this format:
>  ### search strings
>   'Search' => '',
> and the translator simply fills in the translation between the two
> single quotation marks to the right.
>
> However, there are several strings which look like this:
>
>   'SearchFor' => 'Results of searching for <em>$Needle</em>',
>   'SearchFound' =>
>    '$MatchCount pages found out of $MatchSearched pages searched.',
>
> These strings don't show you where to input the translation, and
> there are two original strings to each line. What is the translator
> supposed to do here, please?

Jo has it correct in a later post, but just to expand on his answer --
the translator is supposed to replaces the (english) string in the quotes
with the correct translation.  The only reason the template has an English
translation already in the quotes is to give the translator some
idea of how the text should read, since directly translating the keys
"SearchFor" or "SearchFound" probably isn't really what should be
displayed (nor are these keys what PmWiki displays in its default
configuration).