[pmwiki-users] Translating pmwiki and utf8 bug

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Tue Jun 14 21:21:11 CDT 2005

Thankyou for your response, Joachim. :)

On 15/06/2005, at 3:56 AM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

>>   'SearchFor' => 'Results of searching for <em>$Needle</em>',
>>   'SearchFound' =>
>>    '$MatchCount pages found out of $MatchSearched pages searched.',
>> These strings don't show you where to input the translation, and
>> there are two original strings to each line. What is the
>> translator  supposed to do here, please?
>
> 1) These are simply two strings, one named 'SearchFor', the other
> 'SearchResult'. Technically, they are unrelated (though the names
> indicate that they will be shown in the same context).
> 2) The $Needle, $MatchCount, $MatchSearched, or $Whatever stuff is
> a placeholder for PmWiki to fill in. From the text above, I'd
> assume that $Needle will be replaced by a search string,
> $MatchCount by the number of pages on which the search term was
> found (an integer), and $MatchSearched by the number of pages
> searched (also an integer).
>
> Hope this gets you going. If not, feel free to ask :-)

I understand about placeholders, but I hope you don't mind me
checking about the strings. If they are separate strings, would it be
correct for me to do this to the section above?

>> 'SearchFor' => '',
>> 'Results of searching for <em>$Needle</em>' => '',
>>   'SearchFound' => '',
>>    '$MatchCount pages found out of $MatchSearched pages searched.'
>> => '',

or do I need to substitute the translation for the existing text,
like this?

>> 'SearchFor' => 'translation of "Results of searching..."',
>>   'SearchFound' => 'translation of "$MatchCount pages found...',

I don't want to break the parser that processes the completed
translation. :\

It's not exactly clear from the template what one should do: I'd
recommend adding a comment...

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc