[pmwiki-users] Translating pmwiki and utf8 bug (whoops)

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Tue Jun 14 21:27:49 CDT 2005

On 15/06/2005, at 7:00 AM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Jo has it correct in a later post, but just to expand on his answer --
> the translator is supposed to replaces the (english) string in the
> quotes
> with the correct translation.  The only reason the template has an
> English
> translation already in the quotes is to give the translator some
> idea of how the text should read, since directly translating the keys
> "SearchFor" or "SearchFound" probably isn't really what should be
> displayed (nor are these keys what PmWiki displays in its default
> configuration).

Sorry, Patrick and Joachim, I replied to Joachim's post before I got
to Patrick's (itchy email finger).

Thankyou for the explanation: I can finish that template today and
contribute it. Is there anything else I need to do, apart from the
Cookbook template and the docs listed on the l10n page, to translate
the pmwiki interface?

I would recommend including on the webpages which show the templates
for translation:

"Most strings have the original text on the left-hand-side, and two
quotation marks on the right-hand-side which can be filled with the
translation. However, some strings already have an English
explanation on the right-hand-side, which can be replaced with the
appropriate translation, to explain the cryptic string names on the
left-hand-side. If you are confused about left and right, as many
people are, please go and have a cuppa and a lie down, then come back
to translation. :) "

My father is ambidextrous and has absolutely no idea which is left
and which is right. He tried teaching me to drive. "Turn right!" No
street on RHS. Very entertaining, if slightly nervewracking.

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc