[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Aug 15 14:44:51 CDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 06:56:46PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Monday, August 15, 2005, 12:48:54 AM, Patrick wrote:
> > I've been thinking that the <div class="pagetitle"> that exists
> > now in PmWiki's skin ought to just change to <h1 class="pagetitle">.
> > Opinions?
>
> Sounds good. But would it not then be logical also  to disallow
> <h1> generation in page content?

I don't think PmWiki should be unilaterally imposing that restriction.
The idea that there should be only one <h1> per document is a
W3C recommendation, not a requirement, and it's not PmWiki's role
to prevent things that are otherwise legal.  So, while we can
make it easy to do the right thing, I don't think we should force
them into it.

Beyond that, there's a nice correspondence between !! == <h2> and
!!! == <h3> that is helpful to those who know HTML.  And if a
wiki admin wants to disable ! == <h1>, that's easily done via
a local customization.

> I propose %head% as a shorter form.

Noted, although I would like it to make the distinction between
a sidebar heading and a document heading more obvious...