[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 15:21:04 CDT 2005

On 8/15/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> Beyond that, there's a nice correspondence between !! == <h2> and
> !!! == <h3> that is helpful to those who know HTML.  And if a
> wiki admin wants to disable ! == <h1>, that's easily done via
> a local customization.

Specifically?

> > I propose %head% as a shorter form.

Except it would be %p head%, not %head% wouldn't it?

> Noted, although I would like it to make the distinction between
> a sidebar heading and a document heading more obvious...

As with many things Hans writes, that brings something to mind...

Would it be possible to have a configuration option to make ! generate
different markup if the $Name is "SideBar"?  Withe the option enabled,
these two would be equivalent when used in the sidebar.

    ! Foo

    %p bar% Foo

A config.php might look like

    ## Enable this option to cause heading markup (!Heading) to
    ## generate <p class 'bar'> rather than <h1>  output in SideBar pages.
    $SidebarHeadingsAreParagraphs = 1;

(probably with a better name, of course).

That would let existing markup remain how it is and enhance Search
Engine Optimization in one swell foop.

Come to think of it, paragraphs should be the default and there should
be a $SidebarHeadingsAreNotParagraphs setting.  :-)

Oh... I object to using "head" or "heading" since the whole idea is to
cause it *not* to be a heading!

Hagan