[pmwiki-users] Markdown options

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Thu Jan 5 13:03:31 PST 2023

I don't use and haven't reviewed these recipes, so I cannot recommend
them, but here is what I can tell from a glance.

MarkdownMarkupExtension seems better supported as Said Achmiz
contributed to it and he is an active developer.

The problem with this recipe is you may need to wrap your Markdown in
directives:

   (:markdown:)...(:markdownend:)

and not simply writing markdown instead of PmWiki markup.

Additionally, I am not sure if this will keep track of backlinks and
other core PmWiki features you may need.

The other recipe, Markdown, appears to disable all core markups, then
selectively reenable some of them, plus the Markdown rules. So it would
be simpler for you to simply write the markdown instead of wrapping it
in directives.

Again, I am not sure how well it integrates with the PmWiki core
features.

The biggest problem for this recipe is that it uses older markup
configuration rules that are incompatible with recent PHP versions. It
looks like a lot of work to update all rules.

I think it may be easier to fix and integrate MarkdownMarkupExtension.
You may try contacting Said if for some reason you cannot make it work.

You could use an edit template for new pages to pre-fill the markdown
wrapping directives, or you can add a GUI edit button to easily insert
them in a page.

Petko