[pmwiki-users] Comments-UseCases page

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sun May 25 01:37:53 CDT 2014

Chris Knadle writes:
> I was on the hunt for some way of using PmWiki for doing RSVPs and found this
> page via a search and which is listed under cookbook in the "Forms" section:
>
>     http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Comments-UseCases
>
> ... the problem is that after spending a couple of days trying to implement
> "Case 3" concerning RSVPs, we've come to the conclusion that this page isn't a
> recipe at all, but rather it's a "this is how we users would like comments to
> work", but the page doesn't seem to state that.  :-(  This also would explain
> why there's no particular plugin mentioned (there is at least CommentBox and
> CommentBoxPlus cookbook plugins that would seem to fit the description,
> leading to further confusion) and trying to figure out who authored the page
> doesn't seem easy either because it appears the History was deleted at some
> point.

Yes, the pmwiki.org installation drops the history after 180 days (after the
latest 20 page revisions). This was set by Pm a long time ago. Dropping the
history, and even unverifying the user's identity reflects PmWiki's
pragmatism: the quality of the latest content is more important than the
process of building it. (As opposed to MediaWiki/Wikipedia where every
single edit is important and saved - another philosophical view.)

> So: is this page NOT a recipe?

Yes, it is not a recipe (or No, it is not a recipe? :-).

> If that's the case, can someone please edit
> the page and add some text at the top of the page explaining what the page is
> intended for?

I have added a block to the page. If someone knows anything else, please
edit the page.

About RSVPs, a few years ago someone wrote to me that they use the Flipbox
recipe for RSVPs like Doodle. At that time I implemented the multiple-state
flipboxes.

   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Flipbox

Alternatively or in complement, you can create a form like the one in Case 3
and process it/save it/mail it with PmForm.

   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PmForm

I haven't used or reviewed the other form-procesing recipes in the cookbook.

Petko