[pmwiki-users] Link to folder does not open a window nor shows the folder content

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Dec 17 10:21:02 CST 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 01:47:16PM +0100, Michael wrote:
> Hello
>
> I like to have a reference out of a wiki to a local drive. Accoding to
> the documentation this link
>
> [[Shared e drive->file:////E:\]]   should do  this. But unfortunately
> no window pops up nor is the content of the folder displayed.
>
> Is there a further step neede? Is there somewhere a switch in a config
> file I have to set??

For security reasons, most browsers will only enable file:// links if the
page containing the link is _itself_ on the local drive.  In other words,
most browsers do not allow links to file:// from pages that were fetched
using http:// .

Each browser has its own configuration switch for enabling/disabling this
behavior, so we'd need to know what browser you're using to help much further.
Try searching for the name of your browser and "file: links" or "local links".

Hope this helps,