[pmwiki-users] html2wiki

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 18 14:51:30 CDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 11:27:15AM -0400, Sandy wrote:
> IncludeUpload allows you to upload and then include an HTML file in a
> page; I don't think it checks for safety, so if there's malicious
> JavaScript, you're in trouble.
Yes, it assumes that if someone is trusted enough to upload a file,
then they aren't going to include malicious JavaScript.
There's a reason why uploads are disabled by default...

> Also, I don't know if it strips out
> things like the <HEAD> tags; if it doesn't, you'll get two of them in
> the output, which is bad.
Yes, it does strip out the HEAD tags, it only includes the BODY
content.

> A good tool if you're the only one preparing
> the HTML file. Not so good if you let everyone use it.

It was written with the intent to make things easier if you already have
HTML files that you don't (yet) want to convert to PmWiki format.  It
was NOT intended to replace PmWiki pages altogether.  It's more oriented
towards using PmWiki as a CMS rather than a free-for-all wiki.

I've used it in a few ways:
(a) for interim pages which I intend to convert to PmWiki, but don't
have time yet

(b) for content (such as FAQs that get posted to mailing lists) which
needs to be in plain text format and HTML format (IncludeUpload also
allows one to include plain text files, and optionally converts them to
proper HTML if you configure a script to call to do the conversion)

(c) for things like my fiction catalogue, where the actual story is in a
HTML file, but the wiki page contains meta-information about the story,
as well as the story itself.

There are trade-offs in using it.

Kathryn Andersen
(author of IncludeUpload)