[pmwiki-users] Planning for 2.2.0

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sat Sep 23 04:25:54 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> But my experience has been that authors are quickly frustrated
> by lightweight markups when they reach the limits of the markup.

PmWiki started with pretty lightweight markup, too, I'd think, and look
where it's today.

I think Creole will acquire more markup over time.
If they choose wisely, the end result will be a markup that's both
powerful enough and easy to implement, and authors of new wikis will use
it since they don't have to invent their own markup language.
If they choose poorly, people will become disinterested and it will die
of neglect.

There are alternatives already BTW.
One group is Markdown and Textile (which I find far too complicated,
though that may be a consequence of an overly formal presentation style).
The other is YAML, which is a kind of drastically simplified XML. It
even has an inline mode, so one could, in principle, create a YAML-only
wikisyntax.

Regards,
Jo