[pmwiki-users] PData support for pagelisting images

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 7 14:46:59 CDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 02:20:28PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 01:51:15PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > So, how much pain would we cause by switching this around now?
> > If we fixed it so that {$Name} and [[link]] were always treated
> > as being relative to the page in which they are written...

One set of things that *wouldn't* be easily handled by this
switch: relative pagenames that appear as arguments to directives.

For example, suppose that OtherGroup.XYZ contains

    (:pagelist link=Index:)

When OtherGroup.XYZ is viewed, this will display a list of all
pages with links to the OtherGroup.Index .  However, if
OtherGroup.XYZ is included by Main.ABC, as in:

    (:include OtherGroup.XYZ:)

then the include function won't have any easy way to know that "Index"
is the name of a page, thus it'll remain unqualified, and Main.ABC
would see a list of pages that link to Main.Index instead of
OtherGroup.Index.

On the good side, after the proposed change, an author could
resolve this in OtherGroup.XYZ by using any of:

    (:pagelist link=OtherGroup.Index:)
    (:pagelist link={$Group}.Index:)
    (:pagelist link=[[Index]]:)

so that when OtherGroup.XYZ is included by another page, the pagelist
still generates a list of pages with links to OtherGroup.Index .

Anyway, this is an example of a case where PmWiki won't be smart enough
to detect that "Index" is a relative page reference in an included, because
it doesn't like like one in the plain markup text (only the pagelist
markup knows that it's a page reference).  But perhaps we can live with
those minor inconsistencies in the name of making the more common cases
more comfortable for authors.