[pmwiki-users] read access password question

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 15:14:44 CDT 2006

On 9/6/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 07:59:55PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> > Wednesday, September 6, 2006, 7:33:58 PM, Patrick wrote:
> >
> > > Are you using authorization groups and/or authuser?  If so, it's
> > > as easy as:
> >
> > >     (:pagelist fmt=#group group=Editions*:)
> >
> > > which will display a list of all groups for which the person has
> > > read permission set (assuming $EnablePageListProtect is 1, the default).
> >
> > So far I was not using authuser or userauth, just plain passwords via
> > ?action=attr
> > What are authorisation groups?
>
> Authorization groups allow an identity to be associated with
> a set of "groups".  For example, you could have groups like:
>
>     @edition1: alice, bob
>     @edition2: alice, carol
>     @edition3: alice, bob, carol
>
> and then alice's username and password would let her view all
> three editions, while bob's would only allow @edition1 and @edition3.
>
> The advantage to authors is that each author only needs a single
> username and password to access authorized pages, instead of needing
> a separate password for each edition.  The downside, of course,
> is needing to maintain separate username/password combinations.
>
> > I was imagining that there will be groups like edition1,
> > edition2, edition3 etc with passwords Aedition1, Bedition2, Cedition3
> > etc. and subscribers get mailed the password for the edition(s) they
> > subscribe to. How does this relate to user groups?
>
> Going back to your original question (display a list of all
> groups for which the person has read permission), the difficulty
> I see with this approach is that a person would have to enter
> all of his/her passwords in order for PmWiki to know which groups
> they have access to.  Either that or there has to be some quick way
> for a person to say "restore all of my known password settings",
> such as by using browser cookies or the like.
>
> I feel like I'm missing a simple (and possibly obvious) answer
> to all of this, but I can't seem to come up with it at the moment.
>
> Pm

I don't think this makes life any easier, but it is another way, and
in the absence of AuthUser or UserAuth, it's what I imagined Hans
would be doing:

Edition1/GroupAttributes?action=attr
set read-authorization to userApass, userBpass, userCpass, etc

Of course, adding another password to the list would be a pain, since
he'd have to re-enter all the existing ones plus the new one each
time.