[pmwiki-users] Link to a non-existing page

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Mon Jan 9 20:31:28 CST 2006

>    Well, that's true for the specific instance case, but not
> for the group-wise fix, I wrote teh later one for my site
> (but not for Categories).  I'm not sure about the entire site
> solution.
Actually in my case I need it for a few very specific URL's on a few pages.

>  > >   But in the case of Categories, I think you still have the
>  > > problem that you cannot do a pagelist and get the Categories
>  > > which do not actually have a page.
>  > Yeah, I've basically been struggling with this for a long time. The
>  > GroupFooter mechnism very quickly outlives it's utility.
>
>   Well it still seems convenient to get an automatic pagelist,
> even if the category page exists.
You have just triggered an epiphany! I found the whole auto-paglist
mechanism provided by the GroupFooter to be incredibly useful, and so
had resisted what I considered the alternative of manually creating the
page. At no stage did it occur to me that the page simply had to be
blank, thus I can have the best of both worlds! I can create pages for
categories that I know to exist, and use pointers to those pages, and
have the auto-generation for those few categories that get created
without me realizing. I find it totally amazing that this has escaped me
for so long.

>   In the case of nested categories, this is an argument for
> keeping the question mark for categories.  This way anyone
> creating a new category will be aware that they should
> potentially place that category in another category.
Good point, but that wouldn't work in my specific case. What would be
good is a mechnism that highlighted where a category was used, but that
had no category page.

>   I use them, but do not feel like I have quite figured out
> everything with them.
A man in my own shoes :)

> I don't know what you mean by pre-limit
> them?
Currently anyone can basically create a new category simply by typing
[[!hjfkdsfjsdkl]] in any old page. This is a good thing. But, it does
mean that the manual creation of category pages has to be identified.
BUT, based on my new world-view, this may not be as bad as I considered
it initially.

> As for new cateogries, I think taht others have suggested
> a recipe for that in the past, the one that finds broken links?
Not sure about broken links, but certainly missing category pages.