[pmwiki-users] Link to a non-existing page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 9 21:05:51 CST 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:31:28PM -0500, DaveG wrote:
> >  > >   But in the case of Categories, I think you still have the
> >  > > problem that you cannot do a pagelist and get the Categories
> >  > > which do not actually have a page.
> >  > Yeah, I've basically been struggling with this for a long time. The
> >  > GroupFooter mechnism very quickly outlives it's utility.
> >
> >   Well it still seems convenient to get an automatic pagelist,
> > even if the category page exists.
> You have just triggered an epiphany! I found the whole auto-paglist
> mechanism provided by the GroupFooter to be incredibly useful, and so
> had resisted what I considered the alternative of manually creating the
> page. At no stage did it occur to me that the page simply had to be
> blank, thus I can have the best of both worlds! I can create pages for
> categories that I know to exist, and use pointers to those pages, and
> have the auto-generation for those few categories that get created
> without me realizing.

There's always the possibility of having PmWiki automatically
create blank Category pages.

> Good point, but that wouldn't work in my specific case. What would be
> good is a mechnism that highlighted where a category was used, but that
> had no category page.

Well, one can always find missing Category.* pages using ?action=refcount.
And I'm still hoping to merge refcount with pagelist so that one can
do something like:

    (:pagelist rel=missing group=Category:)

and get a list of missing pages in the Category group (i.e., a
"missing" page is one that has a link to it but doesn't exist).