[pmwiki-users] Link to a non-existing page

Fick, Martin fick at fgm.com
Mon Jan 9 19:52:33 CST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: DaveG [mailto:pmwiki at solidgone.com]
Martin Fick wrote:
> >   Well, that's part of the reason for:
> > Cookbook/RemoveQuestionMark, specifically the group-wise
> > section.
> It looks like that removes the question mark, rather than changing the
> link to a read link, ie, the link still opens the page in Edit mode.

   Well, that's true for the specific instance case, but not
for the group-wise fix, I wrote teh later one for my site
(but not for Categories).  I'm not sure about the entire site
solution.

> >   But in the case of Categories, I think you still have the
> > problem that you cannot do a pagelist and get the Categories
> > which do not actually have a page.
> Yeah, I've basically been struggling with this for a long time. The
> GroupFooter mechnism very quickly outlives it's utility.

  Well it still seems convenient to get an automatic pagelist,
even if the category page exists.

> I find categories to be very powerful, but having to create a page for
> each category, without a mechanism to monitor when new categories are
> created provides a pretty open way to get things out of synch very
> quickly.

  In the case of nested categories, this is an argument for
keeping the question mark for categories.  This way anyone
creating a new category will be aware that they should
potentially place that category in another category.

> How do other people handle categories? Is there a way to pre-limit
> categories, or to somehow know when a new category is used?

  I use them, but do not feel like I have quite figured out
everything with them.  I don't know what you mean by pre-limit
them?  As for new cateogries, I think taht others have suggested
a recipe for that in the past, the one that finds broken links?

  -Martin