[pmwiki-users] New recipe: Fox

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 11:45:28 CST 2006

Monday, December 18, 2006, 5:28:11 PM, The wrote:

> zap also has the same kind of page templating capabilities introduced
> in ADL.  It does not however take an append/prepend approach to
> comments but rather stores them as data on separate pages that can be
> retrieved via pagelists and formatted as desired.  It's also easy to
> edit/delete individual comments.  The advantage to Fox's approach
> however is faster processing, as you only have to load one page for a
> pagelisting there can get a bit slow...

I don't understand this claim of faster processing.
In order to show a thread ZAP has to load lots of pages (well the
pagelist does), each with one comment only. Whereas with Fox you just
load the topic page, no pagelist processing involved at all.

Of course if one wanted to build  a multi-threaded forum, using messages
stored on one page per topic, then there is the problem of extracting
individual messages from the page, and putting them back together in
a different order etc. which may be a lot of processing, or may be
not. I don't know.

In any case I don't want to go down the road and
store each forum message in a separate page, I don't like the
idea of hundreds or thousands of tiny pages in one folder, all with
just a numeric index as pagename. The simple approach of one topic per
page will produce hugely less pages, and pages with reasonable names
as well. This fits well for me with PmWiki's simple approach. ZAP
tries to make it into a kind of database. Maybe this is doable and
workable, but fairly complex to set up. I just prefer a simpler
approach.

Hans