[pmwiki-users] New recipe: Fox

The Editor editor at fast.st
Mon Dec 18 11:28:11 CST 2006

On 12/18/06, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> Monday, December 18, 2006, 10:40:37 AM, malexism wrote:
>
> > I saw your examples. Many way to use Fox, it's usefull and seems simple.
> > Is it possible to imagine a threaded forum ? As is, it's difficult to
> > see new messages.
>
> I built FoxForum the same way as Simple Forum: Each new topic is
> created as a new page, and all posts on the topic are posted in the
> page. I can't quite imagine how to set up a threaded forum (but there
> may be a way). But I can imagine many ways of making new messages more
> visible. For instance the topic index could be built differently with
> a different pagelist format, to include the latest message, or at
> least a part of it.
>
> But I think a threaded model does not work well with the linear
> storage of messages on one page per topic. A threaded modal may be
> achievable with ZAP, as it stores each message post on a different
> page, if I understood rightly.

Yes, zap can do threaded forums.  If Hans wanted to add that
capability to Fox it should be fairly simply.  I'd be happy to supply
the code.

zap also has the same kind of page templating capabilities introduced
in ADL.  It does not however take an append/prepend approach to
comments but rather stores them as data on separate pages that can be
retrieved via pagelists and formatted as desired.  It's also easy to
edit/delete individual comments.  The advantage to Fox's approach
however is faster processing, as you only have to load one page for a
pagelisting there can get a bit slow...

PS. if you're interested in zap however, wait till the next release
out sometime soon.

> I am going to add to Fox still an end-of-post anchor, so each post has
> a starting and ending anchor, and can be included in another page
> easily like (:include PageName#post12#post12end:)
>
> At the moment Fox puts a start-of-post anchor to each post of form
> [[#fox$id]], $id being replaced with a number derived from counting the
> posts + 1. This is nice and readable, but if someone deletes a post,
> The next post will get an anchor with the same name as one already
> existing. So I need to revise this part too, perhaps just use the
> timestamp to create the anchor.
>
> Ideas most welcome!

Good work Hans!  Great idea to combine ADL with CommentBox plus, and
some nice looking forums, etc.

Cheers,
Dan