[pmwiki-users] New recipe: Fox (about forum)

Jiri mail at revida.sk
Mon Dec 18 13:01:20 CST 2006

Hi all,
I think it is necessary to consider and estimate how huge the forum can
be (depending on contributors activity).
Each aproach has its pros and disadvantages.
If I expect hunderds or thousands posts to not numerous topics
then the downloaded page can grow too long with the last post at the
bottom if all posts are stored in one topic page.
Using pagelists you can show only most recent posts (count=10 for
example) or posts sent within last 3 days with a link to the full
pagelist. (it can be maintained in a single page using parameters
url?show=10 or url?days=3 with conditionaly displaying proper pagelist)
I think it is easier to delete or erase old posts files or files older
then x days.

I think there is no obstacle to use both recipes in one site - each used
accordingly to the needs.
If I create a forum to report bugs I would use Fox.
If I have a forum to collect comments to program features (like PITS) I
would use Zap as I can easy append my reaction direct to each post.
In a small community where only registered members are allowed to read
and post comments to actual themes which will be outdated within 3 month
I do not care if there is 50 or 150 pages.

Both recipes are too young to say *now* which fits my needs the best.

Best regards,
Jiri