[pmwiki-users] your mail

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Dec 15 17:23:18 CST 2006

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 10:09:55AM +1100, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 04:37:12PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 04:28:20PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > > If the attack isn't consistently requesting gallery_top.inc.php,
> > > then you could try blocking access based on the libwww-perl
> > > user agent.  Let me know if you need ideas or information about doing
> > > that.
> >
> > ...In thinking about this a bit further, can anyone think of a reason
> > why PmWiki _shouldn't_ default to treating libwww-perl user agents
> > like any other robot?  AFAIK libwww-perl isn't commonly used for
> > "normal" interactive browsers.
>
> I can think of a reason: perl-based scripts that want to interact with
> PmWiki -- I mean, "good" scripts written by users, rather than being an
> "evil robot".  I know I've had in the back of my mind wanting to be able
> to use perl scripts to interact with PmWiki (I just haven't written
> them yet); one as a replacement for pywe, to do "edit wiki pages with
> your favourite editor"...

1.  Would it be reasonable to ask that such "good" scripts change
    the User Agent string to not include the libwww-perl?

2.  I have a perl-based editing script already (based on one that
    Scott Duff wrote many years ago), but it needs some cleaning up
    and to be updated to better handle cookies/passwords.