[pmwiki-users] your mail

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 15 17:09:55 CST 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 04:37:12PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 04:28:20PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 11:12:54PM +0100, Laurent Meister wrote:
> > > First we used pmwiki 2.1.16 and after the first attac I upgraded the
> > > wiki to 2.2..0 beta 16.  The user agent string of the bots seems to
> > > be always like this two:

> > > Via: 1.1 cache.edu.hel.fi:8080 (squid/2.5.STABLE14)
> > >
> > If the attack isn't consistently requesting gallery_top.inc.php,
> > then you could try blocking access based on the libwww-perl
> > user agent.  Let me know if you need ideas or information about doing
> > that.
>
> ...In thinking about this a bit further, can anyone think of a reason
> why PmWiki _shouldn't_ default to treating libwww-perl user agents
> like any other robot?  AFAIK libwww-perl isn't commonly used for
> "normal" interactive browsers.

I can think of a reason: perl-based scripts that want to interact with
PmWiki -- I mean, "good" scripts written by users, rather than being an
"evil robot".  I know I've had in the back of my mind wanting to be able
to use perl scripts to interact with PmWiki (I just haven't written
them yet); one as a replacement for pywe, to do "edit wiki pages with
your favourite editor"; another to assist conversion from
AutomatedArchive (which is Perl-based) to my PmWiki StoryArchive recipe.

Kathryn Andersen