[pmwiki-users] Bug: Multiple emails from wiki engine about recent changes

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 08:37:10 CDT 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> I'm not sure that your system has problems _resolving_ pmwiki.org, it's
> acting more like the system has difficulty _connecting_ to pmwiki.org.
> Especially since ping and other tools seem to work.

True... I have tried using the IP adress a while back when I was trying
to work around this problem and didn't work either.

However, your particular example doesn't work from another machine, for
instance, from
	host black01.md.kth.se
	black01.md.kth.se has address

the following command doesn't work:

	$ wget

           => `pmwiki-latest.tgz'
Connecting to connected.
15:29:58 ERROR 404: Not Found.

The actual URI in the example might be wrong though.... Doing the same
from the pmwiki server
	host aussie.lyx.org
aussie.lyx.org has address

I get

           => `pmwiki-latest.tgz'
Connecting to connected.
15:28:18 ERROR 404: Not Found.

On the other hand, using a domain name rather than an IP adress, i.e.

	wget http://pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-latest.tgz

works fine from black01.md.kth.se but not from aussie.lyx.org, where I
instead get:

	wget http://pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-latest.tgz
--15:32:23--  http://pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-latest.tgz
           => `pmwiki-latest.tgz'
Resolving pmwiki.org... failed: No such file or directory.

> If you still get a similar error, then the problem isn't in name
> resolution but in connection.  That would likely indicate that a
> firewall (either on your end or pmwiki.org's) is blocking http and
> subversion requests between the two hosts.
> What's the IP address that you're coming from?  Perhaps I can find
> out if the pmwiki.org server is blocking such requests.

You can see the IP adresses above... but could a firewall really block
depending on if the command on my side uses an IP address or a domain