[pmwiki-users] Bug: Multiple emails from wiki engine about recent changes

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Aug 29 09:46:23 CDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 03:37:10PM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > I'm not sure that your system has problems _resolving_ pmwiki.org, it's
> > acting more like the system has difficulty _connecting_ to pmwiki.org.
> > Especially since ping and other tools seem to work.
> True... I have tried using the IP adress a while back when I was trying
> to work around this problem and didn't work either.

Oh, yeah.  pmwiki.org is using named-based virtual hosts, which means
that the webserver on my end needs to know the name that you're trying
to access; IP address alone isn't sufficient information.

But this also tells me it's not a firewall issue -- it has to be an
HTTP protocol issue.

> [...] Doing the same from the pmwiki server
> 	host aussie.lyx.org
> aussie.lyx.org has address
> I get
> wget
> --15:28:18--
>            => `pmwiki-latest.tgz'
> Connecting to connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> 15:28:18 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Okay, this tells me it's probably not a firewall issue, since
aussie.lyx.org is able to connect to pmwiki.org's server on port 80.
I even found the 404 entries in the apache error log.

So, something else is blocking things -- possibly an Apache configuration
on my end.  Out of curiosity, what are the results of the following
wget's from aussie.lyx.org...?