[pmwiki-users] User level for this forum? a cry for help (was Blogging support?)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Aug 17 20:08:36 CDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 08:44:00PM +0200, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> > From the Frapper, it appears that fully half of the PmWiki community
> > are non-native English speakers.
>
> Let's get the chance to stress the point here: please be kind and
> write well, you English speakers :-)
>
> Slang, non-standard vocabulary, gratuitous acronyms,... although
> suitable while chatting between friends or sending sms over mobiles,
> are probably not a good way to deal with a world-wide audience.

Now I feel all defensive.  I *do* use standard vocabulary, I'm not using
slang, and I feel it's rather unfair to be targeted for using standard
English idioms which I might use completely unconciously, but which
*are* standard English -- but unfortunately don't translate well.

And since I'm using them unconciously, I'm probably not aware when
something is an idiom and when something is more literal.

(An idiom is a phrase which is commonly used, but whose normally
understood meaning is not the same as its literal meaning.)

Kathryn Andersen