[pmwiki-users] User level for this forum? a cry for help (was Blogging support?)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Aug 19 09:01:45 CDT 2006

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 09:33:05AM +0100, Marc Cooper wrote:
> Pico said...
> > kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> > > So, again: please be kind and write well, you English speakers :-)
> >
> > !Amen -> I agree!
> > ?=Mea culpa -> My? bad
>
> Your bad what precisely?

I think Pico was referring to my use of the phrase "mea culpa" in my
original response to this thread [1], pointing out that the phrase
might not be familiar to non-English speakers and his interpretation
of what I meant.

Ironically, "mea culpa" isn't English, it's Latin.  :-)

At any rate, my philosophy on this topic is to simply remember that
electronic mail, the Internet, and computing means that we're all
foreigners at least part of the time to others, and just like
visiting a foreign land, there will be occasional bumps and
misunderstandings in communication.  And just like real life -- when
that occurs we can just say "I don't understand" or "What exactly
does that mean?" and then find a better way of saying or explaining
whatever we were trying to communicate.

So, as long as we're all doing our best to communicate, eventually
we'll get it all figured out, bumps and all.

(Personally, the occasional mistakes don't bother me too much,
because it gives me an opportunity to learn more about other
languages and cultures. :-)

Pm

1.  http://host.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2006-August/030615.html