[pmwiki-users] spaces in page names?

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Thu Apr 27 07:15:51 CDT 2006

Thomas Richter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am creating a FAQ based on PmWiki, so page names  are descriptive
> questions. For two reasons i would like the Page names to retain
> spaces.
>
> First: I use the tags-cookbook extension, and the links automatically
> listed for a tag get garbled (something like
> "WhatCodecIsBestForVideocompression"), because they are derived from
> the page name.
>
> Second: it would be fine, if page names could be parsed by Google and
> understood as compositions of different keywords.
>
> I localized one bit of the PmWiki Code where spaces are being stripped
> (function MakePageName) and i would like to convert them to "%20" but
> i failed to find other relevant parts of the code.
>
> So I´am asking you: is it possible? Or are there unintended
> side-effects of a change like this?

Have you enabled the spacewikiwords option (by directive or adding
$SpaceWikiWords = 1; in your config.php)?

That should cause the page titles to appear with spaces.  For spaces in
pagelists, you will have to modify the pagelist templates to use
{$Namespaced} or {$Titlespaced} instead of the default {$Name} markup.

Forcing the page name to contain the entire question seems like it could
become burdensome pretty quickly.  Have you looked into other options
(like using the title for the full question and using pagelist to
display titles instead of page names).

Also, you may want to take a look at several recent Cookbook recipes for
FAQ pages.

Pico