[pmwiki-users] Re: draft/Subpageish stuff (was: Re: Question about HTML output for link targets)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Feb 4 15:36:47 CST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 04:00:38PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2005-02-04  02:23 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >Well, it's also true that it's fairly easy for me to "remap" illegal
> >characters to valid ones in the filenames.  All of which means that
> >semicolon, colon, etc. could be probably be put back in the running.
> >
> >I'll generate a list of characters in a later message.
>
> Did I miss the email that explained why a period could not be used as a
> subpage separator?

Only because it's confusing, unless we get into a full hierarchical group
system (which has been discussed many times on pmwiki-users with the
result that the current system seems best).

> Does Main.Main.Main (group.page.sub) become ambiguous when it is just Main
> or Main.Main or .Main ?

The main question is one of addressing within links -- from Main.WikiSandbox,
how does one link to Main.WikiSandbox.XYZ (without always having to
write the entire pagename)?  And then from Main.WikiSandbox.XYZ, does
[[HomePage]] go to Main.WikiSandbox.HomePage or to Main.HomePage?

There doesn't seem to be a simple syntax for hierarchical groups; i.e.,
all of the solutions we've come up introduce confusion that seems to
outweigh the perceived benefits.