[pmwiki-users] Re: draft/Subpageish stuff (was: Re: Question about HTML output for link targets)

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Fri Feb 4 16:02:49 CST 2005

At 2005-02-04  03:36 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>Only because it's confusing, unless we get into a full hierarchical group
>system (which has been discussed many times on pmwiki-users with the
>result that the current system seems best).

Shame on me, but I just read
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/HierarchicalGroups for the first time. It
seems to state a fairly clear case for the status quo. The PmWIki status
quo is not weak in any way - it has farms, groups, categories, and wiki
trails to allow relatively fine control of content.

Just what would subpages add to this mix? Suppose I would like to be able
to have a page that collects comments or discussions of another page. Can I
not just declare a local convention for my wiki to be that to discuss the
FavoriteHorse page we use a page called FavoriteHorseDiscussions? Or
About_FavoriteHorse?

Unless there is a "create subpage" button, why is there any need for PmWiki
to "explicitly" support them? And what does such explicit support mean?
Will it prevent me from creating a page called FavoriteHorseDiscussions if
the FavoriteHorse page does not exist?

<weak humor> And what if I wanted to have a page about Mister Ed called
FavoriteHorseDiscussions?</weak humor>

Perhaps it is the end of the week and my brain is weak, but I can't see a
burning need for subpages in any form, regardless of the markup.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668