[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Wed Aug 17 06:56:13 CDT 2005

On Aug 15, 2005, at 1:56 PM, Hans wrote:

> Monday, August 15, 2005, 12:48:54 AM, Patrick wrote:
>
>> I've been thinking that the <div class="pagetitle"> that exists
>> now in PmWiki's skin ought to just change to <h1 class="pagetitle">.
>> Opinions?
>>

> Sounds good. But would it not then be logical also  to disallow
> <h1> generation in page content?

I don't like this method, because if you do this you are limiting the
skins people can generate, and causing people with established
websites to need to change their skins.

I can certainly edit all my websites such that H1 is automatically a
part of the skin, and I remove the ! content in the pages I already
have which specify the header 1 content.  But that's going to be a
LOT of editing for me -- what about other sites with even MORE content?

I probably should have hard-coded the h1 header into my custom
templates.  So it's not to say that the method is wrong -- but that
it involves change and problems with backward compatibility, as well
as possibly limiting the template designers or writers in the future.

What happens if I as a writer don't want the H1 on a page, but it's
hard-coded in the template?

Or if I want the browser title bar to say one thing, and my H1 to be
worded a little differently

ie:  About Eclectic Tech, LLC in the title bar for the window (which
will be the default bookmark name where "About Us" in someone's
bookmarks makes no sense) and "About Us" as the H1 tag -- because
once they're browsing the page and my logo is in their face, saying
the page is about the company is a bit redundant.

Bad example because this is NOT how I've done my About Us page, but
it was something I was thinking about today, before reading your
suggestion.

Crisses
----
Everywhere I look and all I see-- just a fading fucking reminder of
who I used to be....
I'm down to just one thing and I'm starting to scare myself...
I just want something I can never have.
  -- Nine Inch Nails, Something I Can Never Have