[Pmwiki-users] Creating a new Group using {{Free Links}}

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Jan 27 08:43:37 CST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 02:12:25PM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:

>    According  to  the  instructions  at  PmWiki.WikiGroup, the method for
>    creating a new $Group in the same as for creating a new page...
>
>    Problem  #1.  I  should  be  able to create a new $Group (or rather, a
>    link to MyNewGroup simply), without having to  specify a PageTitle.  I
>    suggest  appending  a  slash  '/' to the end of a WikiLink to indicate
>    that it is a $Group. and not a page link.
>    Example1:  create a link to MyNewPageTitle
>    Example2:  create link to MyNewGroup/.

It's a good suggestion but I'm a tiny bit concerned about markup aliases
(i.e., cases where Group/ might occur in normal text).

Also, what page should the the link go to within the group?  I'm guessing
that MyNewGroup/ should link to MyNewGroup/MyNewGroup?  If so, then you
can achieve this functionality by putting the following in local.php:

  $LinkPatterns[750]["\\b($GroupNamePattern)/"] =
    "<a href='$ScriptUrl/$1/$1'>$1</a>";

I've put up a test page at
http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Development/GroupLink that demonstrates this.

>    Problem  #2.  {{Free Links}} don't work properly when trying to create
>    a new $Group / Title.

The normal syntax for this is NewGroup/{{New Document}}, which displays
as "New Document" (same as if one had written {{New Group/New Document}},
because group names don't display when a slash is used as the separator.

I suspect it'd be possible to come up with a local modification to allow
the group name within the free link, if it's really desired.