[Pmwiki-users] Cookbook Re-Organization (Discussion)

Steven Leite steven_leite
Tue Jan 27 02:16:44 CST 2004

Problem:  The Cookbook is starting to look a bit large.  It's hard to identify the simple workable (stable) recipe's that everybody would naturally want to implement versus the less popular but equally cute solutions that fit some Admin's needs, and which are simple and stable to install, to the big, unstable, complicated to use or install recipe's that few people will want to use (or are afraid to implement).

Solution:  Shuffle these "recipe's" around a bit, move them to a different pages or create a new group for them.  My suggestion involved creating three Groups or categories for these recipe's.  Cookbook, AdvancedCookbook, and PatchesAndFixes.  Please read the description for each category to understand what (I think) should be contained in that category.

Cookbook

The Cookbook should contain useful recipe's that are tested and work well.  They do not involve making horrible changes to pmwiki.php.  They may be big or small in size.  These recipe's probably won't make it to any future releases of PmWiki because either they are just too big (bloat), or because of their lack of popularity or limited usefulness (eg.  they aren't considered essential or commonly used features).

PatchesAndFixes

This category is perfect for those quick-fixes, or one-liner's that you add to the local.php in order to enable or disable some aspect of the code.  Many of these so-called patches and fixes are already documented (or not so well documented).  Some of these fixes may be slight modifications to existing $Variables that can be made in the local.php file.  Some or many of these PatchesAndFixes are simple and light-weight, and moderately useful which is why many of them will be included in the next releaes of PmWiki.

AdvancedCookbook

Recipe's contained in this category are usually more sophisticated and complex.  They may or may not be easy to install and configure.  They may or may not require changes to pmwiki.php.  They aren't for the faint-of-heart.  They provide specialized or advanced capabilities to pmwiki which most users may not need for a first-time install.  These recipe's are for advanced WikiAdministrators who have pushed PmWiki to it's limit, and now require more!  First time installers of PmWiki are probably not interested in most of these recipe's (at least not right now).

Note:  As a first time PmWiki admin/user, I found many of the recipe's currently in the Cookbook to fit under this category.  I think they should be moved out of the Cookbook and in to the AdvancedCookbook.

Comments & Suggestion most welcome!

Steven Leite