[pmwiki-users] 4+ links on page preventing saving

Kyle Newton kdnewton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 12:46:36 CST 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 6:40 AM, Peter Bowers <pbowers at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Kyle Newton <kdnewton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Something as simple as:
>> ---
>> [[http://one.com]] [[http://two.com]] [[http://three.com]] [[
>> http://four.com]]
>> ---
>>
>> Results in:
>> ---
>> PmWiki can't process your request
>>
>> ?invalid page name
>>
>> We are sorry for any inconvenience.
>> ---
>>

> Based on Petko's recent response, I think the next step in debugging is to
> find out what page you are being sent to.  In order to do this you will
> need to make a copy of pmwiki.php (I would copy it to pmwiki.php.orig) and
> then edit pmwiki.php.
>
> ***
> Editing pmwiki.php is STRONGLY discouraged.  For good reason.  Doing so
> will cause all your CDs and DVDs to get scratched, all your socks to come
> back from the laundry without their mates, and undoubtedly cause you to
> forget where you parked your car the next time you go to the airport as
> well.  Carry on at your own risk.  (And make sure you have made the backup
> and that you restore the backup as soon as you get the requested
> information.)
> ***
>
> On line 653 (or slightly before or slightly after - my copy is slightly
> out of date) you will see a line that looks like this:
>
> ===(snip)===
>     Abort('$[?invalid page name]');
> ===(snip)===
>
> Change that to look like this:
>
> ===(snip)===
>     Abort('$[?invalid page name]'."p=$p, pagename=$pagename");
> ===(snip)===
>
> Then try to save a page with 4 links and let us know the value of $p and
> $pagename...
>
> Then, if you value your socks, DVDs, and keys, restore your copy of
> pmwiki.php!
>
> -Peter

Hmm... the response seems to suggest "forbidden access" which is strange
because editing and saving the page with 3 or fewer links (or none) works.

?invalid page namep=403.Shtml, pagename=403.shtml

I also just tried linking to many internal (non-existent) page
[[test.test1]] [[test.test2]] etc and the page saved fine. Haven't tried
linking to existing internal pages, but seems it wouldn't matter.

-Kyle