[pmwiki-users] RFC: Indexing categories and links

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Tue Mar 9 11:07:46 CST 2010

Petko Yotov wrote:

>Many times, there have been requests about improving the way Pagelists with
>Backlinks are generated, particularly about the category feature.
>
>  (:pagelist link=Category.Name:)
>
>There are two different markups, [[Category/Name]] and [[!Name]] which both
>create a link to the page Category.Name, and pages both are currently
>displayed in the above pagelist.
>
>Authors have asked for the possibility to list only pages containing the
>category link [[!Name]] but not containing the regular link [[Category/Name]].

besides the differentiated page list generation (being the topic of
this thread), there is another issue:

If the category page "Name" doesn't exist, a [[Category/Name]] link is
displayed with question mark and links to Name?action=edit. That's
inconsistent with the current behaviour of [[!Name]] links.

So we need to handle [[Category/...]] similar to [[!...]] or another
link markup to suppress ?action=edit. Else we lose the possibility of
category listings without maintaining category pages.

Regarding the original question: I'm not sure whether it's cleaner to
use a separate group for category membership creation and listing, or
a built in distinction of link markup.

Oliver