[pmwiki-users] Question about mailto links with extras

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Dec 10 07:33:16 CST 2010

On Thursday 09 December 2010 13:34:48 Ben Pitzer wrote:
> We need to send a specific email template frequently.  My last job had a
> Sharepoint server upon which someone had set up a single click mailto link
> which opened an email with a similar template already formatted
> [[mailto:user <at> domain.com?subject=Case Handover&body=Case Number: \
> Problem areas (mark all that apply): \
> Option 1 [ ]\
> Option 2 [ ]\
> Option 3 [ ]\
> Option 4 [ ]\
> Option 5 [ ]" | Case Handover Template]]

> 1. The link displayed in the wiki page shows the entire text above,
> rather than just the words "Email Template".
>
> 2. The formatting isn't coming through.  The email still opens, and
> the text is all there, but it's all in a single line, unfortunately.
> All I really need are newlines, but I can't seem to find a way to make
> it work.

Hello. The link should really be on one line. If you want to insert newline
characters in the future e-mail, use the combination "%0A", like this:

  [[ mailto:test at example.net?body=Line1:%0ALine2:%0ALine3: | e-mail me ]]

This way of defining a message body is probably not supported by all browsers
and e-mail clients. It may be more convenient to use a Form-to-mail function:
you create a form in your wiki website, visitors fill it and you receive the
results in your e-mail. There is a PmForm module which is able to do this, see

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PmForm     and
  http://www.pmwiki.org/pmform/PmForm/MailForm   for the form-to-mail function

PmForm works well, but you need an administrator to install it.

Petko