[pmwiki-users] Question about mailto links with extras

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 06:34:48 CST 2010

Folks,

Greetings.  I've been a wiki user for years, and pmwiki was the first one
that I set up for myself and at a company I worked for several years ago,
however I haven't used it in a while.  That said, I'm at a company now where
I'm not the pmwiki admin, and I'm not likely to get admin privs on this wiki
any time soon.  I'm trying to take advantage of the wiki for consolidating
information and simplifying some tasks for a technical support group, and
I'm hoping you can help me with something.

We need to send a specific email template frequently.  My last job had a
Sharepoint server upon which someone had set up a single click mailto link
which opened an email with a similar template already formatted in the body.
 I'd like to do something similar via pmwiki for my current group, but I'm
running into a roadblock due to formatting.  Here's what I currently have,
which is working, but which has two significant problems:

[[mailto:user <at> domain.com?subject=Case Handover&body=Case Number: \

Case Priority: \

Customer Contact Info: \

 - Name: \
 - Email: \
 - Phone: \
 - Alt Phone: \

Customer currently on the phone (y/n): \

Problem areas (mark all that apply): \

Option 1 [ ]\

 Option 2 [ ]\

Option 3 [ ]\

Option 4 [ ]\

Option 5 [ ]" | Case Handover Template]]

I got the link above from the following page:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Links#faq

The example shown there only uses a single line entry in the body, but I'm
obviously trying something larger, and requiring some formatting. My two
problems are thus:

1. The link displayed in the wiki page shows the entire text above,
rather than just the words "Email Template".

2. The formatting isn't coming through.  The email still opens, and
the text is all there, but it's all in a single line, unfortunately.
All I really need are newlines, but I can't seem to find a way to make
it work.

Looking over the mailing list, it would appear that there are some
plugins that could help here, but none of them really seem to do what
I'm looking for.  I don't need to save the data to a wiki page, though
that could be nice eventually.  I essentially just need a mailto link
to pop up an new email in the user's email software which is
pre-populated with the recipient's address and a very simply
formatted, text-only template for them to edit and hit send.  Any help
would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer