[pmwiki-users] Maintain overview about passwords

Randy Brown alongkiss at aprivatespot.com
Tue Aug 17 12:23:14 CDT 2010

Like Peter, I generally prefer user authentication via AuthUser to passwords-only. But I know one other tool for reducing password chaos, when passwords are under the admin's control:  passwords by reference.

Instead of putting the end-user password on a page, you put @_site_mypassword on the page, and define that in your config file. This is useful if you need to change passwords on a group of pages at once, but in theory it also should be useful if you need lots of different passwords. For example, if you need each page to have its own unique password, you can create @_site_mypagenamepermissionlevel for each permission, using each page's pagename and the permission you are granting. Then the entire list of passwords are available to be viewed (unless encrypted) in one central location: the config file. And, as always, they can be changed in one place too.

See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PasswordsAdmin#settingsitewidepasswords

Randy