[pmwiki-users] Annoying line break issues.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 12 16:42:21 CDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 03:33:37PM -0500, Randy Brown wrote:
> I didn't realize that legacy-compatibility is the main reason the default is nolinebreaks.

It's not simply legacy compatibility... nolinebreaks is also my preference.
This setting is also the default per the WikiCreole 1.0 standard
(http://wikicreole.org/), as well as being the standard that Wikipedia
(MediaWiki) uses for its markup.

In the case of WikiCreole, there was a very long discussion arguing the merits
of both sides before finally selecting on the behavior that PmWiki and other
wikis tend to use by default.
See http://www.wikicreole.org/wiki/Talk.ChangeLinebreakMarkupProposal .

In short, I don't expect us to be changing the default setting anytime
soon.  I recognize that there are many sites that would prefer the other
setting to be the default and they have very good reasons for wanting that
default... which is why $HTMLPNewline exists.

If there's enough demand to warrant adding a (:resetlinebreaks:)
markup, I'm not very opposed to doing so.