[pmwiki-users] Annoying line break issues.

Randy Brown alongkiss at aprivatespot.com
Thu Aug 12 15:33:37 CDT 2010

I didn't realize that legacy-compatibility is the main reason the default is nolinebreaks. That makes me think new wikis might well want to use linebreaks instead. But there is a problem: it's hard to write pages if you can't be sure what the default behavior is. Thus we all stick with nolinebreaks - and so the legacy perpetuates.

There is an easy solution, if we want to allow (or even encourage) the PmWiki community to gravitate toward linebreaks as default, which I suspect (but am not sure) is more author friendly. Just add this to the core:

$OriginalLinebreaksSetting = $HTMLPNewline;
Markup('resetlinebreaks', 'directives',
  '/\\(:resetlinebreaks:\\)/ei',
  "PZZ(\$GLOBALS['HTMLPNewline'] = '$OriginalLinebreaksSetting')");

Then authors who want their pages to work in more than one wiki can write:

(:linebreaks:)
I really need
two lines here
(:resetlinebreaks:)
But I don't want to change the default behavior
by closing with (:nolinebreaks:) if that wasn't the original setting.

If others want this directive in the core, we can add a PITS request.

Randy