[pmwiki-users] PmForms for populating a PmWiki page with an archive of papers

Randy Brown randy at brownragfilms.com
Fri Jul 3 11:23:54 CDT 2009

In a structured wiki, where PTV data (aka the "model") is separate
from the presentation (aka "view"), you hide the contents of the page.
In the case of category pages, there doesn't even have to be an actual
page. Since Fox's preview only shows the contents of the page, not the
group header, the page appears empty - thus an inaccurate preview.

Pmwiki's preview, unlike Fox's, shows the complete page. Pmwiki has
the opposite problem: it shows the header but "previews" the old
values rather than the values that the user has just entered -
rendering the preview inaccurate. Fortunately, Peter created a patch
(which I hope will be added to the core: see PITS 01098  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/01098
  ) that fixes Pmwiki.php.

Fox has so many great features - but for any wiki where the group
header is important to the presentation of the page, its preview is
unusable.

My second point has nothing to do with Fox. If you want to display a
link in a PTV, you need link markup. So, despite structuring the wiki,
the user still needs to deal with some markup. If there's a way around
that, I don't know it.

Randy