[pmwiki-users] Rating cookbooks

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 04:21:57 CST 2009

Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 12:04:20 AM, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

> I agree; "rating" is too confusing.
> Coming late to this discussion, but what might be simpler than "+1" or
> "support" or "endorse" is just "I use this recipe" (implied: "and it
> works for me").

> 1) it is simpler for those who use the recipe to add their feedback;
> "Do I use this recipe?" is a simple yes/no question, they don't have to
> sit and figure out how many "stars" they might give the recipe.

> 2) It is helpful for potential users of a recipe, because rather than
> rating enthusiasm (which a rating would do) or curiosity (which a count
> of downloads would do) it gives an indication of how useful the recipe
> is, because it indicates whether people actually use it or not.

> 3) It is helpful for the recipe developers because it gives them some
> idea of how many people they are affecting when they update the recipe.

One simple implementation for listing "I use this recipe"
(implied: "and it  works for me") could be to add to the cookbook
recipe info section an entry (PTV) of 'Users:'
and let users add their name or Profiles link name. This can just
expand as a comma-separated list horizontally.
If anyone wants to write a mini-review or comment (not technical
questions) it could be done in a section !!Reviews

As recipe developer I would find a list of users very helpful.
As cookbook page maintainer I would not like to see a rating section
with one entry per line (rating value, name, mini comment)
at or near the top of the cookbook page. At the bottom may be okay,
but as user I would like to see an indication of usefulness right at
the top in the info section.

Both PTV Users: in info section and a !!Reviews section can be
implemented immediately without recipe support on any cookbook page
one maintains.

  ~Hans