[pmwiki-users] Documentation of Recipes (was: Pre-announcing 2.2.0...)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 09:34:52 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 08:29:05AM +0100, Petko Yotov wrote:
> About the page names, I have a slight preference to place them in existing
> wikigroups (or agree on a new, fixed wikigroup). It could be named
> PmWiki/RecipeThumblist2 for example, with a Recipe- prefix. If I have a wiki
> using pagelists and searches, and I have excluded the service/conf/doc
> wikigroups, and a recipes create new wikigroups, I'll have to re-edit all my
> pages containing pagelists.

Simpler would be for us to standardize a "list=..." argument to
pagelist that excludes service, configuration, and documentation
groups (similar to how "list=normal" excludes things like
RecentChanges and GroupHeader pages).

> > - include a [[!package]] tag (or some other convention) on the page
>
> > Right now, the appropriate category to use is probably [[!recipe]]
> > or [[!skin]] for skin documentation.
>
> I prefer [[!PmWiki Recipe]] and/or [[!PmWiki Skin]]. Wikis could be used for
> other things like food recipes, or software packages and skins, we shouldn't
> occupy categories that might have other uses by the websites.

I agree with this.

> Excellent idea, but let's first hear what others think. OTOH, if you are the
> author of the only recipe that ships with documentation, you can probably do
> what you feel is correct and common sense. :-)

There are a lot of recipes and skins that include documentation, I think.
At any rate, I think that what's good for PmWiki is likely also good
for its recipes.