[pmwiki-users] Any hope for 2.2.0 stable release?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 18:00:29 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:35:31AM +0100, ml wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > PHP4 support is holding us back, then we can consider it.
>
> I think there is some nice stuff:
> - auto class loader for inclusions in stdconfig.php

This has some potential.

> - try catch error handling, esp. usefull for markup extensions, cookbooks

Recipes are welcome to require higher levels of PHP than PmWiki does.

> - __destruct instead of register_shutdown_function

Assuming that PmWiki doesn't make a significant change to OO
(which I don't plan to do), is there a big improvement here?

> - major projects are moving to php5 (e.g. smarty, phpMyAdmin)

Good to know -- but still not a reason for PmWiki to deprecate
PHP4 support if we don't have to.

> > it might break a ton of sites and recipes, so we really need a
>
> Yes, recipes might also have to move away from GLOBALS, but I think
> most will like it.

Agreed -- it's always an issue of migration, though.

> > some way of either (1) converting all pages on a site to UTF8,
> > or (2) automatically probing for all filename types that
>
> As most literature says it can't be done automatically, I'd recommend a
> migration script (see http://www.dokuwiki.org/tips:utf8update, http://
> www.phpwact.org/php/i18n/charsets).
> I can also image having some different directories like wikilib.d and
> wikilib.d.utf8

I'm thinking of having a migration action, which reads, updates,
and saves all of the pages in wiki.d/  (or perhaps a subset of
them).