[pmwiki-users] Include an external pmwiki page that is accessible via a URL.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Jan 17 09:37:32 CST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:55:17AM -0600, Bo Peng wrote:
> Putting this to an extreme, what I want to do are:
>
> 1. Manage core documents (in pmwiki format) of my project in a
> subversion server. (I do not want to have two copies of the same
> document).
> 2. Edit these documents locally and submit them to my subversion
> repository. (This is easier to do than logging in to my website).
> 3. pmwiki website gets the latest version from the subversion web
> interface, and display them. (This is almost there with includeSite,
> but the output is unnatural).

Actually, this sounds like you really want the ImportText recipe
more than IncludeSite.  Here's how I would do the above:

1.  Set up a svn repository for the core documents.
2.  On the PmWiki site, install the "ImportText" recipe.
3.  On the PmWiki site, check out a copy of the svn repository
    and set the ImportText recipe to import from that directory.
4.  Set a cron job or some other mechanism to have the svn
    directory perform "svn update" and retrieve the latest
    pages from the svn repository.

Whenever one of the specified pages is requested, PmWiki will
then check the import (svn) directory for an updated version of
the page text and use that.

Overall this has a lot less impact on the network (because pages
get transferred only when there are updates, instead of
every page request).

Anyway, that's what I'd do.  The other possibility would be
to update PmWiki's PageStore so that it can read and format
text files directly (this possibility has also been discussed
in the past).

Hope this helps,