[pmwiki-users] reCAPTCHA

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Thu Jan 1 10:49:38 CST 2009

kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> As far as my own experience goes chaptchas are not a 100% solution.
> Yet they are effective and helped me to almost completely stop wild
> "edit" spam by bots on a couple of open (no password protected) wikis.
You appear to be suggesting that Captcha has failed in some cases --
have you seen that? Whilst I agree it's certainly theoretically (and
been proven in a lab) possible to defeat the captcha, I've not seen it
in practice.

> Now, after having discovered, tested and much liked the idea behind
> http://recaptcha.net/ I ask myself (and the list :-) whether there is
> anybody enough skilled and willing to write a recipe for enabling
> reCHAPTCHAs into pmwiki.
This is simply a remotely serviced captcha -- not so very different in
practice from what we have, albeit a little more sophisticated in the
captcha level, and offering an audible representation of the captcha. So
if you need those features, then it's a good service -- I've seen it on
numerous sites.

Here's the PHP implementation: http://recaptcha.net/plugins/php/

Looks very simple. I may take a look at it in a week or so, if no one
has expressed a more immediate desire to implement it.

  ~ ~ Dave