[pmwiki-users] Xhtml 1.0 Strict

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Fri Jun 27 10:34:18 CDT 2008

>> I see that current pmwiki outputs XHTML 1.0 Transitional pages.
>> Would it be an attainable goal to have XHTML 1.0 Strict code?

> While it would certainly be attainable, I'm not sure it would
> be a desirable goal in the general case.  :-)
> At any rate, the level of XHTML compatibility depends almost
> entirely on the skin.  Even though PmWiki's default skin
> lists XHTML 1.0 Transitional, in reality the markup engine
> aims to always output XHTML 1.0 Strict, so a skin that
> specifies XHTML 1.0 Strict should be okay (as long as the skin
> itself conforms, and any embedded markup extensions also conform).
> If there are any PmWiki markups that aren't XHTML 1.0 Strict
> compatible, let me know and I'll see what can be done.

I ask because there is a law here in Italy that "forces" sites of
public organizations, public offices, government-dependent
services,... to comply with "accessibility rules" and one of the main
issue is validate as "strict" and not as "transitional".
I was asking myself if I could put together (not that I'm an expert,
but I'll try), starting from the plain Pmwiki skin or Triad (they are
the best two skin, and both quite flexible), a derivate skin which is
"accessible".

What you wrote, Patrick, is quite encouraging.
I'll try and come up with something next week.
In case of need, I'll ask on the list.
Also, as I have several visually and physically impaired friends, I'll
try and make live tests, in order to come up with something which is
both law- and real_life- compliant. And useful, hopefully.

Thanks
Luigi