[pmwiki-users] [AuthUser] Is there a way that users can, change their password for themselves

Martin Kerz martin at kerz.org
Sun Sep 30 11:16:54 CDT 2007

>> You may found an answer at the end of the
>> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PasswordsAdmin page, using
>> "?action=crypt"
>
> I'd be surprised if that helps... just encrypting a password
> doesn't put
> it into effect.

That's true. I have to manually add those encrypted passwords to
SiteAdmin/AuthUser. That's okay for a project of my size, so that's
way I appreciate the solution.

> The only recipe I'm aware of that gives password-changing
> capability to
> AuthUser is ZAP (see Cookbook/MemberMgmt).  To use it you have to
> adopt
> ZAP's system for storing personal data on the Profiles page, and all
> pages in your wiki should require a password to edit, but depending on
> your site those are small prices to pay for the flexibility and
> functionality ZAP offers.  If you choose to go that route, I'll be
> happy
> to help answer questions.  --Ben S.

ZAP is definately an interesting alternative, although I have the
impression that ZAP, especially because of ZAPWiki will evolve into
(or already is) some kind of real fork of pmwiki. I don't want to
have too much non-standard additions to pmwiki and actually want to
keep on the pmwiki road. AuthUser is really a great way to handle
user-based authentication, and I hope that eventually it will become
more flexible.

My whishlist for AuthUser:

- Support for spaces in usernames (post 2.2)
- Support for special characters in usernames (perhaps comes in with
the switch tu UTF-8 (post 2.2)
- Some interface to change the password of a user.

Moreover I have the impression that Patrick isn't that happy about
the whole ZAP story...

Martin