[pmwiki-users] Search Box

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 21 14:07:26 CDT 2007

On 9/20/07, Mike Shanley <up at upisup.com> wrote:
> H. Fox wrote:
> > The reason to hard-code is efficiency, since PmWiki will process fewer
> > wikipages per request.  Others on the list would know better than I
> > how much of a difference it makes, but without a doubt it's more
> > efficient to put HTML directly in the template than it is to generate
> > the same HTML using the wiki engine.
> >
> I definitely do understand this point--which is why my site designs tend
> to be as hollow-yet-featureful as possible--but, lets say 5 more Markup
> processes in the face of 20-80 (or more!) is not likely to slow things
> down that much...

The difference is not merely that of adding few more Markup processes.
 Put another way, it's not the same as adding the additional markup to
a single page,

For one thing, the server will need to retrieve each and every extra
wikipage from disk...  Enable the stopwatch to see what I mean.

If you have an intranet wiki that will never be slashdotted the
difference is almost certainly immaterial, especially if your wiki's
running on a beefy server.  For other installations the difference
could matter.

As a general rule it's probably wise to remain on the safe side and
use wikipages for layout elements that will benefit from the ability
to edit them.  Examples:

Searchbox - static - put in template
SideBar - benefits from ability to edit - include as a wikipage

Hagan