[pmwiki-users] pagelists link= with pages generated externally

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue May 22 14:33:40 CDT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:27:17PM +0200, Christophe David wrote:
> Speaking for myself, I prefer the import feature quickly and possibly
> some small delay sometimes that having to wait until an elegant
> background solution can be found.

Doing things in the background isn't a really a problem -- PmWiki
already backgrounds a number of tasks (for example, rebuilding
.pageindex, sending out mail notifications via NotifyList, etc.).
This is just another one of those.

> >If we remove the restriction of renaming the file, then the
> >import/ directory doesn't need to be writable at all.
>
> Indeed, but is it worth the trouble of having to manage which file
> have already been processed, etc?

Oh that's no problem -- once we've decided to check for imports,
we just process those files that have timestamps newer than
.lastimport .

> And the external programs creating the files need write access too.

Yes, but if they're running under a task such as cron(1),
that's already been taken care of.

> I don't want to push you, but if you could tell me how many nights I
> still have to sleep before seeing it ;-)

Could happen tonight (small probability), could be several days before
I can get to it.  I have a lot of stuff on my plate at the moment.

But if I get a lot of "me too" requests for this feature, its
priority goes up accordingly.  :-)  And it'll undoubtedly be a
recipe, not a core feature.