[pmwiki-users] Unwanted carriage return with pagelist template

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 13:00:25 CDT 2007

--- "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> Pagelist templates currently work by taking the
> markup produced by the template and rendering it
> into HTML. The major reason for this is so that
> >>div<<, table, list, and conditional markups inside

> the template don't do surprising things with the
> outer markup.  In particular, people would be very
> surprised if an (:if:) condition inside of a
pagelist
> template caused markup outside of the pagelist
> template to not appear.

I can see how the (:if:) would seem daunting to
anyone, but couldn't that be solved by simply
appending an (:if:)\ to any PLT output?

As we have seen, I think that users expect to be able
to make things like a table span a PLT and seem more
confused when they don't.  I would argue the same
possibly for lists (of course, I admit that it is easy
for me to see the case when users want things to span
the PLT, maybe I wouldn't see the opposite until it
were shown to me)

Are there other such known issues that would not work
the way users would expect it?

> > Despite that fact that templates are for advanced
> > users, I don't want to have to remember a new
> > special tag to do simple line formatting that I
> > would intuitively expect to work without it.
>
> The vast majority of uses for pagelists produce
> block  markup, not inline markup.  So I take the
> position that inline is the special case (and will
be
> for the foreseeable future), and therefore this
> special case should have the special tags.

Could you explain that to me, maybe I don't understand
why block markup would specifically be wanted in most
cases?  As an author, I just want the PLT text to be
inserted in place of the (:pagelist:) directive.
Would all of the current default templates not work if
the surrounding <block> were removed?  Also, where do
the surrounding <p> </p>s come from? I figured it was
just from the fact that the template creates new
lines, or is it an artifact of the "inlcude"?  Could
you also help me understand why they can't be removed
along with the surrounding <block>, is it because it
would break all the current templates? (I'm not trying
to be stubborn, I just don't understand it well
enough)

Thanks,

-Martin