[pmwiki-users] Unwanted carriage return with pagelist template

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 27 12:36:16 CDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 09:28:53AM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> On second thought, do people really need/want the
> div/span.  If so, would that more likely be the
> special case?  In reality, I think that people would
> expect this to even work without any new special \
> meanings:
>
>      [[#PageCount]]\
>      (:template last:) {$$PageCount}\
>      [[#PageCountend]]\

Note that this will *still* generate a <p>...</p> tag.

Pagelist templates currently work by taking the markup
produced by the template and rendering it into HTML.
The major reason for this is so that >>div<<, table,
list, and conditional markups inside the template don't
do surprising things with the outer markup.  In particular,
people would be very surprised if an (:if:) condition
inside of a pagelist template caused markup outside of
the pagelist template to not appear.

> Despite that fact that templates are for advanced
> users, I don't want to have to remember a new special
> tag to do simple line formatting that I would
> intuitively expect to work without it.

The vast majority of uses for pagelists produce block
markup, not inline markup.  So I take the position that
inline is the special case (and will be for the foreseeable
future), and therefore this special case should have the
special tags.