[pmwiki-users] 2.2.0: add Site.SiteHeader and Site.SiteFooter

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jun 19 17:16:31 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 08:58:46AM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:

> While the directive may no longer work as a
> suppressor, certainly similar pagevariable base
> solutions could achieve this, couldn't they?
>
> (:if expr exists {$Group}.GroupHeader && equal
> {$:nogroupheader} :)
> (:include {$Group}.GroupHeader :)
> (:elseif equal {$:nogroupheader} :)
> (:include Site.DefaultGroupHeader :)
> (:endif:)

Yes, they could, but I'm not sure I want to enshrine page text
variable based solutions in the core just yet.

If I had much of PmWiki to do over again (i.e., didn't have
to worry about breaking existing sites and recipes), then
many of the current directives would indeed become page text
variables... but I'm not sure we're ready for that sort of
migration, unless we somehow declare that the existing
(:nogroupheader:) directive is itself a page text variable
of some sort.  Even then I fear that having several
extremely-similar-but-slightly-different ways of achieving
mostly-similar-but-slightly-different results will just end
up confusing everyone.